RISERVA MAZON

Hofstätter classification

Single vineyard wines

This mellow, fruity and inviting Pinot Nero has a deep ruby-garnet colour and typical varietal aromas of forest floor, wild berries and amarelle cherry. On the palate it is multifaceted, warm, and harmonious. Firm though elegant, it opens broad and velvety, caressing with the grace and refinement of truly international class. This wine will become yet more impressive after another two years bottle maturation.

Grape Variety

Pinot Noir

Soil

Conglomerate of clay, limestone, and porphyry.

Food
pairings

Red meat, lamb, poultry, and game.

Serving temperature

14° - 16° C

Vinification

75% of the grapes are de-stemmed, while the remaining 25% are placed as whole clusters in the fermentation tanks. Fermentation with the skins lasts 11 days. The wine is matured for one year in small oak casks. After assemblage of the Pinot Nero Mazon Reserva, the wine matures for a further six months in large oak casks followed by 12 months in bottle before market release.

Mazon Farmstead

Pinot Nero was first successfully cultivated in Alto Adige at the beginning of the 19th century. It soon became evident that the gently sloping terrain and the special microclimate of Mazon offered perfect conditions for Pinot Noir of international stature.

Discover the estate

Our vineyards and sites

Opposite Tramin-Trameno, on the east side of the valley, is the Mazon plateau with its exceptional vineyards. The denomination "Vigna" indicates a wine that comes from a well defined parcel and guarantees its provenance. This ranking gives the wine the typicality, style and character of the vineyard where it was born.

Discover our vineyards

4 Generation

Josef Hofstätter, a trained locksmith, operated a small restaurant in Tramin together with his wife Maria and produced wine in their cellar. Being business savvy and forward-thinking, he founded a winery in 1907 and successfully traded wine.
Josef Hofstätter passed away childless in 1942 and his wife continued to run the business, assisted by their long-time employee, Konrad Oberhofer.

Discover our family history